Thursday, March 01, 2007

Rainbow season started early with a twinned primary

While homeward bound from work a small rainshower started to pour in bright sunlight and I looked the the north and got a flat looking rainbow. I was ride-sharing when this happened and we pulled over and I got some photos and the bow looked unusual. Upon downloading the photos I applied unsharp mask and noticed the primary was twinned primary bow. This is the first rainbow for me this year. I would of expected to see one in the spring not February!

2 comments:

Claudia Hinz said...

Congratulation! Have you paid attention by accident to the size of rain shower droplets?

Here are winter rainbows not unusual. In on day of january I observed a 4 hour remained rainbow marathon ... but only with normally rainbows.

Best wishes
Claudia

Michael Ellestad said...

The raindrops were on the fat side Claudia because when they hit the windshield they made a nice splat upon impact. I know one thing Claudia I hope 2007 will be prolific with atmospheric optics and halos. I hope for more halos I one day got 5 halo at once and you may have saw in the halo reports blog.